6 May 2009

Au Revoir Chelsea

Unusually with this blog, I am on the button, on the pulse. I am writing an article on a subject at the time it happens, rather than the usual wait to digest the news over a period of several days. Possibly the only subject in my repertoire I am able to do this with, is football.


Tonight I have witnessed an appalling performance by a Norwegian referee in the UEFA Champions League semi final. The result was that Chelsea were eliminated from the competition at the hands of Barcelona. It is easy after a football match to be reactionary, particularly when one key decision swings a game. But what compels me to put finger to keyboard in this case is that four key decisions turned the game against the English club. Four penalty decisions dismissed.



Yes, Chelsea should have won by putting away their chances or making more of their 1 man advantage after the sending off of Barcelona's Abidal. But some form of investigation should be carried out into the performance of the referee. The problem being, that investigation would have to be carried out by UEFA. And if any bias was given against the English side, this would have been placed on his shoulders by that very body.


Michel Platini, a legendary French superstar is the president of UEFA and could not nailed his flag more firmly to the anti-English club mast. He sang along with Barcelona fans in the first leg. He stated that English clubs were cheating because of their debt levels (Real Madrid are hugely in debt, but English clubs are cheating?). He said that Euro 2008 was better off without England. He has criticised Manchester City for making a huge offer for a player but encouraged Cristiano Ronaldo to move to Real Madrid for another huge transfer. He has criticised the competitiveness of the English Premiership, while ignoring the fact that Lyon have won the title 7 years in a row.

I will just point out that I don't support Chelsea. In fact, although I support English clubs in Europe, I have no affinity for them whatsoever. I support my home town club, Carlisle United (you may now snigger). My rant is nothing to do with the club itself.
Suggesting a conspiracy is ridiculous. But what else is there?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. All this Platini angst!!! Whilst I do agree - you may want to reconsider one of your previous blogs ... In Defence of the French. Really ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The standard of refereeing in this game was an absolute disgrace, and no, I'm not a Chelsea supporter either. Missing one penalty claim is any ref's privilege, but three (I made it three, not four)?

    That last handball was particularly obvious.

    By way of providing some balance, Abidan should not have been sent off in the second half (although he ought to have been in the first).

    I hope the final isn't spoiled by the presence of some second rate official.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The four I counted were...

    Malouda tripped in the box (given outside)
    Abidal (?) on Drogba first half
    Worlds most blatant handball (pique)
    Arms up block of Lampard (?) shot in closing stages

    ReplyDelete
  4. am all english final is not in the best interests of uefa. the tv revenue would be smaller than a 2 country final. platini is as bad as sepp blatter. a knob.

    ReplyDelete