17 March 2009

Ten top travel destinations (that aren't in France)

In a bout of frivolous self-indulgence I've put together a list of travel destinations I love. While not exactly off the beaten track in an Amazonian mud-hut sense, I've deliberately steered clear of New York, Paris and the like. Fantastic as these places are, I've moved on from talking about places everyone knows. I have strange tastes and can fall in love with a place for all sorts of reasons - the main one being adopting random countries as my 'favourites' without ever having been there. I'm not painting myself in the most rational of lights, in reflection.

I've been fortunate enough to travel quite a lot, although it will never be as much as I'd like. If my business partner and fellow blogger Andy was writing this - you'd be lucky if one of the top ten was outside Vietnam. But sadly my travels haven't led me that far. And as anyone who read my last blog post, 'In defence of the French' will realise, I'd happily confine my selection to France. So much so that it would be difficult for anywhere else on earth to feature. I've deliberately excluded France from the list, hard as this will be for me.

Anyway, enough prevaricating about the bush.

1) Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I love France, I may have mentioned. And I've excluded it from the list, not mentioning I had an ace up my sleeve. I've always loved Canada, for reasons beyond even me. So I can skew this list in favour of this country too, ha! Halifax is simply the first place I ever touched down in in Canada, and its unremarkable but friendly nature instantly grabbed me. It isn't beautiful, it is pleasant. It isn't backwards but it isn't the most advanced cultural hotspot. But it is an accommodating and welcoming host, an accessible launch-point for whale watching and a haven of interesting history. In particular, the relaxed Point Pleasant park aside, I loved Pier 21, a museum on the site of the quay where immigrants disembarked (a Canadian Ellis Island). Any place where you can sit on a park bench with a sandwich and see an osprey swoop to take an ornamental carp is fine by me.

2) Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

You could probably see this coming, France and Canada all rolled into one like a Mountie with a crêpe. Moving on from simple stereotypes, this small city is delightful in many ways. Its position, perched on a bluff high above the St Lawrence River, is majestic. Its small, cobbled streets and bustling shops and markets are quaint while still being very much alive. Travelling up the river from Montreal by hydrofoil only added to the anticipation, and this European and North American melting pot did not disappoint.

3) Siena, Tuscany, Italy

If you've read Andy's post, Mountain Pass #1, you may have picked up a sense of foreboding about what was about to happen to us in that tale about Italy. Even given what did happen (and he'll cover the capers and calamity in full), I can't put Siena any lower down my list. While less illustrious than its Tuscan cousin Florence, it is a lot more pleasant to walk around at a leisurely pace. Packed with medieval character, its huge central square 'Il Campo' is as atmospheric as any in Italy.

4) Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, England

I live here so a great deal of travelling is not required to reach this particular destination. Despite more stereotypes than a hi-fi store, Newcastle has moved far beyond it's 'broon ale', coal mining and boozing reputation. At its heart, Grainger town represents some of the best town planning in the world, with its long 1830's classical streets a handsome and impressive sight. If and when the people behind the amazing redevelopment of the city's quayside and Baltic Arts Centre ever get in tune with reality - the region's cultural development will be complete.

5) Argostoli, Kefalonia, Greece

Number five. Did I say ten? If it is hard going for me at this point it must be worse for you - so I apologise! Kefalonia is a stunning Greek island, but it is probable that not too many of its visitors ever visit its capital, Argostoli. Given that the town was levelled by an earthquake in 1953, this may not surprise - but it has been restored with considerable care. It has a lively heart of shops and restaurants, coupled with a relaxed atmosphere and a stunning location. And its touching commemoration of Royal Navy personnel who were amongst the first to arrive and assist after the devastating quake was an added bonus.

6) Stockholm, Sweden

The most mainstream of my selections I imagine, the Swedish capital is a cosmopolitan cultural centre with fascinating history added in. My description of the city will probably add little to the countless guides you can find with a quick google search. I found it to be perfect other than a graffiti problem. Then again, Paul Weller playing an open air concert right next to my hotel may have helped.

7) Calvi, Corsica, France

Corsica is very different from mainland France, with a strongly Italian air and an independent heart. I say this to justify my cheating in including a French destination. My blog, my rules, so there. Calvi, on Corsica's northern coast is a perfectly preserved gem, placed on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Mediterranean.

8) Bamburgh, Northumberland, England

Northumberland's coastline, once you get clear of Blyth heading north, is pristine and quiet, as well as stunningly beautiful. Its coastal route of castles, fishing towns and the historic Lindisfarne monastery is achingly gorgeous, blissfully serene and not far for me to go. I acknowledge that the last point there may well be of little use to you. The pretty village of Bamburgh is dominated by a basalt crag, upon which stands an imposing castle that well..... dominates. I'll work on that description later in case anyone feels I'm obsessed with domination.

9 & 10) FRANCE, FRANCE, FRANCE

I've written off the major tourist destinations in the world. And I've disallowed France. But I can't do it! Chartres, Carcassone, Bourges, Avignon and Biarritz - I can't abandon you. I just haven't been to enough places to leave them all behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment