12 August 2009

Charity Shop Challenge - The Competitors

Yesterday my colleagues and I started the Charity Shop Challenge. Using an initial £1 investment we ventured out to make use of our small town's oddly large charitable retail sector - listing our purchases on eBay. The money gets reinvested in the charity shops until a ceiling is reached and whoever made the most of the charity pot - is declared the victor.

All of the items have been chosen and listed and here they are. My own, fine quality antique, is a 1973 Princess Anne Wedding Commemorative Mug. A veritable delight rendered in the highest quality enamel - which despite its 36 years of age - has not lost its sparkle, gleam and almost friendly glow. I will stop there as am in danger of hamming it up more than a pork butcher... You could be the proud owner of this piece of history - Buy 1973 Royal Wedding Heirloom





The only item to generate any interest (and a bid) is my brother's CD of 'More Dirty Dancing'. This is a collection of the songs not deemed good enough for the actual Dirty Dancing Soundtrack. Included are such gems as 'Trot the Fox' by 'Micheal Lloyd and Le Disc'. I can only hope the person buying the item intends to use it as a coaster. Should you have been recently released from an institution and wish to put in a new bid, feel free - Buy Dismal Music CD For Saddo's




The item selected by Leo can surely only be purchased by the most determined of anorak map collectors. He has asked me to point out that it is not an Ordnance Survey Map of Strathdon from 1985 as I suggested yesterday. Oh no, it is from 1976. So that is a whole nine years more useless and out of date than I thought. The listing describes it as having been 'inexpertly folded', which is actually its main selling point. If you want to buy this utterly useless item, perhaps as kindling, you can - Buy Out of Date Map of Obscure Scottish Location


I've even reserved the worst until last. Described in the listing as 'an exceptional studio pottery handmade stoneware goblet', it is in fact a grotesque horror of a lopsided pot. Quite when such items were in vogue is a mystery to me. This too can be secured a special place in your bin - Buy Two-tone Mushroom and Dung Coloured Goblet


All in all, despite their minute price tags, it is clearly only the mug that comes out with any credit. Even if the money is for charity, apart from that special royal wedding memory - I suggest you keep your cash in your pocket.

4 comments:

  1. Who's pick is the only item that has a attracted a bid so far?

    Can you hear the Matthew sing? no, no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok maybe you can sing now - but only a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, thanks to two generous bidders, I am firmly in the lead! Especially as neither wants the mug so it can go back to the charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine my suprise when I heard I'd won the 'More Dirty Dancing' cd auction on eBay today.

    According to one Amazon reviewer I've bagged an absolute classic http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SPTYYNVNTAME/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

    The postman can't come quick enough...

    ReplyDelete